A blog about finding God's way on the journey with our children, our family, our jobs and our community.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Easter is Coming....Is Your Menu Ready?

There's a week to go - and Easter will be upon us. As usual, my entire extended family will be converging upon our home once again (we seem to be the gathering spot since my Dad died).  I miss him on Holidays that call for ham or turkey - he was THE best cook.  I must admit, I don't run a close second, but my family seems to enjoy my cooking anyway.

Easter is a family gathering that is relatively easy on the hostess, because in our family, just about everyone participates in the menu.  I have learned over the years to restrain myself from saying, "just bring whatever you want."  After holidays of having five kinds of potatoes and four green bean casseroles all at the same time, I have gained the wisdom to at least pen down the menu and then, as family members call to ask the inevitable, I can whip out my menu listing, and mark off the items they agree to bring.  Granted, it might be a variation on what I would want to have at the perfect family gathering, but let's get real.  I have tried preparing everything from soup to nuts for a family of 26 or more, and it ain't easy and it ain't fun.  Not to mention the house cleaning that goes along with hosting a holiday gathering - both before AND after the holiday event.  Come on sisters, you know what I mean, right?

So, turning 50 has given me a new-found wisdom that has me planning well in advance and taking shortcuts and using semi-prepared items mixed into my well-thought-out menus these days.  (That's one thing that is good about growing older I guess!)  This Easter, I have come up with a lovely menu, and I wanted to share with you what the Hicks Family will be enjoying on Easter Sunday after Sunday Church Service:


Easter Menu 2010

Ham with Pineapple and Brown Sugar Glaze
Green Bean and Shoepeg Corn Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Mashed Potatoes
Southern Sweet Potato Souffle
Uncle Dave's Cole Slaw
Relish Tray
Fruit Ambrosia or Watergate Salad
Rolls
Carolina Coconut Cake
Mile High Banana Cream Pie

Only My Mom's Sweet Iced Tea
Real Homemade Lemonade


I'll be posting my recipes for some of this delectable dishes tomorrow.  Hope this inspires you to plan a wonderful Easter menu as well.

No comments: