A blog about finding God's way on the journey with our children, our family, our jobs and our community.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Health or Death? What are you speaking?

Proverbs 16:24 says, "Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  When I read this last evening in my "Devotions for Busy Moms" little book in my bathroom, tears welled up in my eyes.  Not just small tears, but those big tears that you know exclaim, UH OH!!

Earlier in the day I had snapped at a few people around the house.  Using the ultimate excuse (again) that I am, at 52, raising grandchildren, children of my own, a full time job that seems to never end, and being active in church, I simply was ugly to the most important folks in my life - my family.

As I stood in my little bathroom with that book in my hand, I could envision Jesus saying, "now Tracy, where did I display that attitude in my life? You know, that attitude that is - well, let's just say - far less than gratitude?"  I can see him saying, "I was here on this earth in an earthly body, and I experienced what you are experiencing right now.  I understand being overwhelmed.  I understand being tired.  I understand being frustrated.  But I want you to follow my example if you will.  When my emotions (because all of those things above are led by emotion) were swallowing me chin deep, I went to the Father and I stayed in His presence a while.  Yes, I got away from the world - all by myself - and I related to Abba a while.  Just me and Him."

Wow.  The Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) are full of Jesus retreating from the world and communing with God!  It sounds simple, almost trite now, but at the time, when you are in the heat of the battle, we just can't seem to say, "OK.  That's it.  Let's stop right here.  I have to go talk to God a little while or you won't like me very much."

But after my tears were dried by Jesus last night, and after I completely understood how to do it better next time, and after He told me that He forgives me (once again), I resided that I will, from now on, take time to talk to God before going a step farther down the road of unkind words.  I want to take the Proverbs 16:24 road - always.  Though I know I'm not Jesus, I am sure trying to be 'as like" Him as I possibly can.

Ok.  Gotta go now.  Back into the heat of the battle.  So I will finish with this prayer for you:  May your words always be like honey - for tomorrow (like me) you may have to eat them!

No comments: